- National Institute on Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism. Helping patients who drink too much: a clinician's guide. 2005. http://pubs.niaaa.nih.gov/publications/Practitioner/CliniciansGuide2005/clinicians_guide.htm. [Full text]
- Willenbring ML, Massey SH, Gardner MB. Helping patients who drink too much: an evidence-based guide for primary care clinicians. Am Fam Physician. 2009; 80:44. [Full text]
- Whitlock EP, Green CA, Polen MR, et al. Behavioral counseling interventions in primary care to reduce risky/harmful alcohol use. Rockville, MD: Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality (US); 2004. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK42863. [Full text]
- U.S. Preventive Services Task Force. Screening and behavioral counseling interventions in primary care to reduce alcohol abuse. 2004. http://www.uspreventiveservicestaskforce.org/3rduspstf/alcohol/alcomisrs.pdf. [Full text]
- Johnson M, Jackson R, Guillaume L, et al. Barriers and facilitators to implementing screening and brief intervention for alcohol misuse: a systematic review of qualitative evidence. J Public Health (Oxf). 2010 Dec 17. [Epub ahead of print] [Abstract]
- Whitlock EP, Polen MR, Green CA, et al; U.S. Preventive Services Task Force. Behavioral counseling interventions in primary care to reduce risky/harmful alcohol use by adults: a summary of the evidence for the U.S. Preventive Services Task Force. Ann Intern Med. 2004; 140:557. [Abstract]
- Heather N, Stockwell T, eds. The Essential Handbook of Treatment and Prevention of Alcohol Problems. Chichester, West Sussex, England: John Wiley & Sons Ltd; 2004.
- Smith PC, Schmidt SM, Allensworth-Davies D, Saitz R. Primary care validation of a single-question alcohol screening test. J Gen Intern Med. 2009; 24:783. [Abstract]
- National Institute of Mental Health. Depression. http://www.nimh.nih.gov/health/publications/depression/index.shtml. [Full Text]
- Ostacher MJ. Comorbid alcohol and substance abuse dependence in depression: impact on the outcome of antidepressant treatment. Psychiatr Clin North Am. 2007; 30:69. [Abstract]
- Fergusson DM, Boden JM, Horwood LJ. Tests of causal links between alcohol abuse or dependence and major depression. Arch Gen Psychiatry. 2009; 66:260. [Full text]
- Searight R. Realistic approaches to counseling in the office setting. Am Fam Physician. 2009; 79:277. [Abstract]
- David K. McCulloch, MD (Zalman S. Agus, MD, editor). Type 2 Diabetes: Depression in Patients withType 2 Diabetes. CME Activity: www.penncmebestpractice.org.
Patient Health Questionnaire (PHQ) Screeners Web site: http://www.phqscreeners.com.